Adopt a Shelf Volunteer
: Adopt a Shelf
: Central, Miller, and Elkridge
: Customer Service/Information
- Meet with Library staff to learn about your chosen area.
- Put materials in alpha/Dewey Decimal order.
- Pull materials to the front edge of the shelf.
- Shift materials if necessary (only within the bay).
- Dust or clean shelves, collect litter and bookmarks for disposal.
- Check materials to make sure they belong to the branch and Howard County Library.
- Report to the staff member in charge when you arrive and when you leave.
- Record your volunteer hours.
: Attend a one hour training/information meeting
- Must be able to alphabetize, and learn how to organize numerically.
- Must be detail-oriented and organized.
- Ability to work independently.
- Meet time commitment.
- Ability to reach top and bottom shelves, bend, and stretch.
Length of commitment
: Minimum of six months
: Flexible. Volunteers should come once every two weeks (more is encouraged) to work in their chosen area (1-2 hrs per visit). Once trained, volunteer can come anytime the branch is open.