2014 Money Matters Fair
Kick off Financial Education month with activities for children and teens, seminars, exhibitors, free credit reports, free introductory financial planning sessions, and free tax preparation by VITA*.
Are you a Scout looking for activities to help earn your financial badges?
- Girl Scouts: Work on activities for Money Counts (Daisies), Money Manager (Brownies), Business Owner (Juniors), Budgeting (Cadette), Buying Power (Senior), and Good Credit (Ambassadors) badges.
- Boy Scouts: Work on requirements for your Coin Collecting merit badge.
Complete a scavenger hunt for the chance to win an iPad! Food available for purchase from local food trucks.
Visit with representatives from:
- 10:15 am -- Coin Collecting
- 11 am -- How to Guard Against Telemarketing, Mail, and Internet Scams with Lila Boor, Investigator with the Howard County Office of Consumer Affairs
- 12:15 pm -- Making American History (U.S. Mint video)
- 12:35 pm -- Coin Collecting
Financial Planning Clinic
- APL Federal Credit Union
- Association of African American Financial Advisors
- Boy Scouts of America, Baltimore Area Council
- BB&T Bank
- College Savings Plans of Maryland
- Consumer Credit Counseling Service of Maryland and Delaware
- Edward Jones Investments
- FDIC/Federal Reserve Bank
- Financial Planning Association of Maryland
- Girl Scouts of Central Maryland
- Howard Community College Financial Aid Services/Admissions/Advising
- Howard Community College Kids on Campus: Financial Planning Program
- Howard Community College Business and Computer Systems
- Howard County Housing
- Howard County Office of Consumer Affairs
- Howard County Public School System - Family and Consumer Sciences
- Junior Achievement of Central Maryland
- M&T Bank
- Maryland CASH
- Maryland Insurance Administration
- Maryland Office of the Comptroller
- PNC Bank
- Susquehanna Bank
Meet with a financial planning counselor and receive a FREE financial planning consultation on site. Appointments will be accepted on a walk-in basis on the day of the event if you are interested in receiving a FREE 30 minute planning consultation at the event.
FREE Tax Preparation
*The IRS offers Facilitated Self Assistance (FSA) for 2013 tax filing for people with incomes under $58,000. FSA offers step-by-step interview questions in the tax software to make it easy for people to prepare and file an accurate return on their own. If needed, IRS-certified volunteers will be available to answer questions for FSA. Please bring the following items for your tax return:
Sponsored by Friends of Howard County Library.
- Proof of identification – Picture ID
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration or
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
- Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit, such as a blank check
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number (the provider's Social Security Number or the provider's business Employer Identification Number) if appropriate
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
- Tuition Payment Statement issued by a college (Form 1098-T)
- Know if you are claimed as a dependent on your parent's tax return.
Presented in partnership with Association of Community Services; Boy Scouts of America, Baltimore Area Council; Girl Scouts of Central Maryland; Howard Community College; Howard County Department of Citizen Services; Howard County Public School System; MakingChange: Financial Wellness Programs.
Full Schedule of Financial Events
|International Games Day
Gaming builds skills in critical thinking, resource and money management, strategic planning, and overcoming obstacles. ... [more]
No registration required
Throughout the year online resources are available on the Financial Education