Write! Now Poetry Contest
Sponsored by Friends of Howard County Library
Congratulations to our 2012 winners
, and thank you to everyone who participated in Word Up! last year.
Open to Howard County students in grades 6 through 12. A Word Up! Educator Resources brochure
with writing exercises and other resources is available for teachers.
- The contest is limited to students who live or attend school in Howard County in these categories:
- Grades 6-7 (Division 1)
- Grades 8-9 (Division 2)
- Grades 10-12 (Division 3)
- Poems must be original, unpublished works. Plagiarized submissions will be disqualified.
- Submit up to three poems, with no more than 60 lines per poem.
- Complete only the information requested on the entry form. Do not add your name or school information to the body of the poem.
- Students may qualify for only one prize in each age group.
A committee of judges will rate entries according to the criteria listed here. The judges will look for these elements in each poem:
- The poem has a title
- The poem offers original ideas and words
- The poem makes readers think
- The poem contains language that is creative and poetic
Winners will be contacted in April. Winners in each category will receive cash prizes (1st prize, $100; 2nd prize, $75; 3rd prize, $50) and an invitation to read their winning poems at a special event in the spring at the new Miller Branch in Ellicott City. In addition, winning poems will be featured on Howard County Library System's web site.
Additional questions can be answered at any Howard County Library System branch, or by sending an e-mail.